Councillors and committees
FURTHER REVIEW OF LICENSING POLICY
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Council, in its capacity as Licensing Authority, has determined that it will review its Statement of Licensing Policy annually. At its meeting in May, the Committee agreed to recommend to full Council only very minor amendments to the Licensing Policy, pro tem, because it was anticipated that changes in legislation later in the year would require a further more substantial review of the Policy to be reported to this meeting of the Committee. (The changes in May being of limited significance, it was also agreed to postpone the usual practice of consultation until the fuller review was undertaken.)
In the event, the changes (as shown in Annex 2 of the report) arising from the Licensing Act 2003 (Descriptions of Entertainment) (Amendment) Order 2013 which came into effect in June 2013, were not as significant as expected. The resulting proposed amendments to the current Policy are set out in Annex 3 of the report.
Representatives of existing licence holders, resident associations and other relevant groups, together with the Responsible Authorities, will be consulted by way of written notification, advising them that the Policy is under review and directing their attention to its location on the website where it will be available for the public to view. In addition, printed copies of the draft Policy, including copies in large print, would be made available to all those who request it.
The Committee heard representations from a member of the public at the meeting who was also invited formally to submit comments as part of the consultation process.
1. the proposed changes to the Statement of Licensing Policy set out in Annex 3 of the report are approved for consultation and in addition the following minor amendments be made to the draft Policy:
· S 151 to read ‘..has a much lower density…’
· the email address for the Clinical Commissioning Group in Annex 1 to be updated to email@example.com
2. consultation be undertaken as set out out in paragraphs 14-16 of the report (and summarised above);
3. the timetable (as set out in paragraph 19 of the report) for considering the consultation responses and for recommendation of any Licensing Policy changes to the Council be agreed, and an additional Licensing Committee meeting be convened on 29 January 2014 if any objections are received during the consultation; and
4. with reference to paragraph 23 of the report, the frequency of review of the Licensing Policy be changed from annually to every two years, with interim reviews if appropriate, for example, due to legislative changes.
Reason for the decision - To progress the annual review of the Statement of Licensing Policy under the Licensing Act 2003.
Voting – unanimous [excepting Councillor John Ayles who did not vote having arrived during the consideration of this item]
Publication date: 28/10/2013
Date of decision: 17/10/2013
Decided at meeting: 17/10/2013 - Licensing Committee