You can view the individual reports for this meeting by selecting the headings from the numbered list of items at the bottom of this page. Alternatively you can view the entire agenda by selecting 'Agenda Reports Pack' below.Watch Council meetings here
Venue: The Guildhall, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 1EU
Contact: Sam Nicholls tel. 020 8547 5533 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In view of the decision, taken at Council on 29 April 2021, that the meeting would proceed on a quorum only basis in order to adhere to the Covid safety mitigation measures and the restricted capacity in the Council Chamber it was recorded that those Members were not in attendance.
Declarations of Interest
Members are invited to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests and any other non- pecuniary interests (personal interests) relevant to items on this agenda.
The Deputy Mayor, Councillor Malcolm Self, declared a personal interest in relation to item 7 (Appointment of non-elected members to Committees and Panels) as he was a long-standing acquaintance with the non-voting Independent Person, Andrew Elmer, who was nominated to sit on the Audit, Governance and Standards Committee. Councillor Self therefore remained in the meeting and participated in the proceedings thereon.
Installation of the Mayor
The Council, at its meeting of 29 April 2021, elected Councillor Sushila Abraham Mayor of the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames for the 2021/22 Municipal Year. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, a separate formal Mayor-making ceremony will take place on the grounds of the Guildhall before this meeting.
At the meeting of the Council on 29 April 2021, Councillor Sushila Abraham had been elected to be Mayor of the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames for the 2021/22 Municipal Year. Members noted that a separate Mayor-making ceremony had taken place outside on the grounds of the Guildhall earlier in the day where Councillor Abraham was invested with the Chain of Office and made the statutory Declaration of Acceptance of Office and took the Oath of Allegiance at the event.
Appointment of Deputy Mayor
The Mayor signified that, acting under the provisions of Paragraph 5 of Schedule 2 of the Local Government Act 1972, she had appointed Councillor Malcolm Self as Deputy Mayor.
The Mayor was pleased to confirm that she had appointed Councillor Malcolm Self as her Deputy Mayor for the 2021/22 Mayoral Year. She had also appointed her husband, Dr Mathew Abraham and her son, Mr Matthew Abraham, as her consorts for the mayoral year and her Daughter in Law Mrs Taleetha Cherian as Mayoress. The Deputy Mayor had appointed his wife, Dr Annette Self, as his Deputy Mayoress.
It was announced that Reverend Helen Hancock from St Matthew’s Church, Surbiton, would be appointed as the Mayor’s Chaplain for the year. It was also confirmed that following the practice of a number of the Mayor’s predecessors, the Mayor would be appointing a number of Associate Chaplains from different faith groups represented in the Borough to lead Council prayers during the year.
The Mayor indicated that her charities for the year would be Anstee Bridge & Milaap. Covid restrictions permitting, the Annual Mayoral Sunday Civic Service would take place at All Saints' Parish Church, Kingston on 27th June at 11.15am. Furthermore the dinner for the retiring Mayor was scheduled to be held at The Double Tree Hilton on Friday 24th September.
The Mayor also extended her thanks on behalf of the Mayoral team, to Kingston Race and Equalities Council for the garlands they supplied at the Mayor making ceremony and took the opportunity of mentioning that the annual cricket match between KREC and the Council was provisionally scheduled to take place on either 17th or 24th July.
The Council is asked to make the necessary appointments for the 2021/22 municipal year to Committees, Panels, Joint Committees and other bodies. Details of the nominations required have been circulated to the Group Offices and the nominations will be circulated prior to the meeting.
Nominations had been sought from the political groups on the Council for membership of Committees, Panels and other bodies for the 2021/22 Municipal Year and circulated prior to the meeting as late material.
RESOLVED that Members be appointed to the bodies as set out in Appendix A of the late material.
Voting - unanimous
Appointment and Nomination of Members to the London Councils Committees and Local Government Association
The Council is asked to make the necessary appointments for the 2021/22 municipal year to the London Councils committees and the Local Government Association bodies. Details of the nominations required have been circulated to the Group Offices and the nominations will be circulated prior to the meeting.
Nominations for appointments to London Councils and the Local Government Association for 2021/22 were circulated as late material prior to the meeting.
RESOLVED that the appointments for the 2021/22 municipal year to the London Councils committees, and to the Local Government Association be agreed, as set out in Appendix B of the late material.
Voting - unanimous
Appointment of non-elected members to Committees and Panels
(1) The Council is RECOMMENDED to appoint the following non-elected Members to the bodies indicated:
(a) People Committee
· GP advisory members: Dr Nazim Jivani (Adults’ health) and Dr Pete Smith (Children’s health)
· Anglican Diocese of Southwark representative – nomination awaited
· Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark – vacancy (nomination awaited)
(b) Place Committee
· Sheltered Housing Panel: one attendee at each meeting from a pool of 4 representatives (Maria Wise, three vacancies)
· Leaseholders Forum (must be a resident leaseholder, living in the property as their only or principal home): Hector Armando Rosales-Macedo and Alison Mary King (sharing position as representative and alternate).
· Residents Associations (must be a tenant): Mr Harry Hall
· Registered Providers Forum: Mr Tim Wilcocks (Richmond Housing Partnership)
(c) Health and Wellbeing Board
Non elected, voting Board members:
· three representatives from the Clinical Commissioning Group - Dr Nazim Jivani (SW London CCG Chair and HWBB Co- Chair, Dr Phil Moore (CCG Joint Clinical Mental Health Lead) and Dr Annette Pautz (alternate for all 3 members - vacant)
· Voluntary Sector (Kingston Voluntary Action) – Sanja Djeric-Kane (alternate -vacant)
· Healthwatch Kingston – Liz Meerabeau
Non-voting Board members:
· Executive Director of Adult Social Care – Sharon Houlden (alternate - tbc)
· Director of Public Health and AD Healthy and Safe Communities - Iona Lidington (alternate - tbc)
· Director of Children’s Services - Ian Dodds (alternate - tbc)
· additional member Jessica Thom (AfC - alternate: Charis Penfold)
Advisory members of the Board:
· Your Healthcare – Ed Montgomery, Managing Director (Alternate: Grant Henderson)
· SW London and St George’s Mental Health Trust - Jennifer Allan, Chief Operating Officer (Alternate: Vanessa Ford (Chief Executive of MH Trust) or Dr Martin Humphrey, (Clinical Director)
· Tonia Michaelides – SW London CCG
· Kingston Hospital Trust - Dr Amira Girgis (Deputy Medical Director) (Alternate: Sally Brittain)
· NHS England– Gwen Kennedy
· representative of GP Chambers – Dr Anthony Hughes (alternates: Dr Richard Van Mallearts and Dr Nick Merrifield)
(d) Audit, Governance and Standards Committee
· Independent Member – Paul Eardley
· Independent Person (not a member of the Committee and non-voting) – Andrew Elmer [Reserve Independent Person – Damien Quinn]
(e) Pension Fund Panel
Non-voting observer members:
· Kingston University representative: Lesley Diston, Financial Controller, Kingston University
· RBK Staff representative: Majid Mafi (Alternate: Louise Gallagher)
· Retired members representative: Chris Coke (Alternate: Mike Belsham)
· Independent Financial Adviser: recruitment to be undertaken in 2021-22
(f) Pension Board
Some members (indicated in smaller font italics) do not require to be reappointed as they have already been appointed for the durations as shown below:
Employer’s Side – 2 representatives:
· Justine Rego - Appointed until December 2023.
· Sam Burgess – Appointed until December 2024.
Scheme Members – 2 representatives:
· Robert Ewing - Appointed until May 2023.
· Deborah Castanheira - Appointed until May 2022.
(g) Blue Badge Appeal Panel
· Robert Reilly (representing Kingston Centre for Independent Living) – advisory member
Nominations for appointments of non-elected members of Committees for 2021/22 were circulated as late material prior to the meeting.
RESOLVED that the appointments of non-elected members of Committees for the 2021/22 municipal year be agreed, as set out in Appendix A of the late material.
Urgent Items authorised by the Mayor
To consider any items which, in the view of the Mayor, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972.
Background Papers held by Democratic Support 020 8547 5023
The Mayor and members present welcomed Councillor Andrew MacKinlay following his election to represent Chessington South in the by-election held on 6 May 2021.