Councillors and committees

Agenda and minutes

New Regulations allow Committees to meet in virtual form online. Following Council approval on 19th May 2020 the Council’s five Strategic Committees responsible for major policy and service decisions will be temporarily streamlined into one Response and Recovery Committee. This will meet on a monthly basis and will be empowered to deal with all urgent business which would normally be considered by the other Strategic Committees, if it cannot wait until the resumption of normal conditions.

Regulatory Committees including Development Control Committee, Neighbourhood Planning-Sub Committees and Licensing Sub-Committees will continue to take place virtually. These will remain in place until at least 12th October when the Council will meet to decide whether circumstances allow for the resumption of normal business.

The Council is committed to maintaining full transparency in the decision making process during this period.

See here for all decisions taken under special urgency powers and other officer decisions during the COVID-19 emergency.

You can view the individual reports for this meeting by selecting the headings from the numbered list of items at the bottom of this page. Alternatively you can view the entire agenda by selecting 'Agenda Reports Pack' below.

Watch Council meetings here

Venue: Guildhall, Kingston upon Thames

Contact: James Geach 020 8547 5062  e-mail:  james.geach@kingston.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

170.

Apologies for absence and attendance of substitute Members

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Roy Arora, Mike Head and Bill Brisbane. Councillors Priyen Patel, Julie Pickering and Liz Green attended as substitutes.

171.

Minutes

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 15 December 2016.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 15 December 2016 were confirmed as a correct record.

172.

Declarations of interest

Members are asked to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests and any other non-pecuniary interests (personal interests) relevant to items on this agenda.

Minutes:

Councillor Malcolm Self declared a personal interest in planning application 16/16520 (Shrewsbury House School, 107 Ditton Road, Surbiton, KT6 6RL).

 

Reason: He met the applicant onsite when the scheme was being developed, prior to the application being submitted, but made no comment on the scheme proposed.

173.

Planning Application pdf icon PDF 271 KB

Minutes:

A summary of the reasons for granting planning permission and of any relevant development plan policies is included in the report of the Head of Planning and Regeneration on each application where permission is recommended. Permitted applications are subject to the conditions, legal agreements and informatives set out in the report and late material together with any other details on late responses to consultations or comments received since the agenda was printed, revised drawings circulated at the meeting and any recommendations, additional conditions and informatives set out below. Resolved that the following application is permitted as indicated.

173a

Shrewsbury House School, 107 Ditton Road, Surbiton, KT6 6RL. (16/16520)

Minutes:

Alterations to the school including a new build two storey central building containing a dining hall, kitchen, classrooms, mutli-functional space & sports changing and locker facilities, a single storey extension to swimming pool to provide changing facilities and toilets; a new vehicular access point and internal road; reconfiguration of external areas, internal alterations to existing buildings including a replacement staff flat and the use of the existing gatehouse for offices and a workshop.

 

Permit subject to the following additional and amended conditions.

 

Amended conditions

 

7          To include detailed architectural plans.

 

14        To add detail on surface water drainage.

 

22        Travel plan to include an aspiration that the mini buses used are environmentally friendly e.g. hybrid vehicles.

 

Additional condition

 

25        To ensure community use of play space

 

Voting: Unanimous.

 

 

174.

Exclusion of the press & public

The following resolution is included if any exempt matter is to be considered at the meeting for which the Committee wish to resolve to exclude the press and public:

 

To exclude the public from the meeting under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 on the grounds that it is likely that exempt information, as defined in paragraph 5 of Part I of Schedule 12A to the Act, would be disclosed and the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.

Minutes:

The Committee resolved to exclude the press and public from the meeting for the duration of item 6 (Update on planning application and appeal at Former Government Offices Site, Hook Rise South, Surbiton) under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 on the grounds that it is likely that exempt information, as defined in paragraph 5 of Part I of Schedule 12A to the Act, would be disclosed and the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.

 

Voting: Unanimous.

175.

Update on planning application and appeal at Former Government Offices site (King George's Gate), Hook Rise South, Surbiton.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee were given an update on the appeal of planning application 15/10074/OUT (Former Government Offices (King George’s Gate), Hook Rise South.)

 

Resolved that:

 

1.    the Head of Planning and Regeneration is authorised to not defend Reasons for Refusal 1 & 2 associated with the refusal of planning permission reference 15/10074/OUT subject to the agreement of appropriate conditions and a S106 legal agreement; and

 

2.    the Head of Planning and Regeneration is instructed to immediately undertake the following:

 

a.    To request that the appellant withdraws the appeal and submits an identical application for the Council to determine.

 

b.    Should the appellant refuse to withdraw the appeal, to request to the Planning Inspectorate that the appeal be determined by way of Written Representations rather than a Public Inquiry.

 

Voting:

Those for: Councillors Hugh Scantlebury, Paul Bedforth, David Glasspool, Priyen Patel, Gaj Wallooppillai and Julie Pickering.

Those against: Councillors Jack Cheetham, Malcolm Self, Liz Green, Lorraine Rolfe and Rebekah Moll.

176.

Urgent items authorised by the Chair

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.