Councillors and committees

Agenda, decisions and minutes

Regulations allow Committees to meet in virtual form online. Following Council approval on 13 October 2020, all meetings of the Council, its Committees and Sub-Committees will take place virtually until May 2020, subject to the prevailing public health situation.

The Response and Recovery Committee, established on 19 May this year, will continue to operate. It will discharge the functions of the Finance and Regeneration and Community and Engagement Committees, determine matters related to the Council’s Covid 19 response and determine any urgent matter which falls within the remit of another Strategic Committee. The Culture, Housing, Environment & Planning Committee has been established to discharge the functions of the Environment and Sustainable Transport and Place and Culture Committees for the remainder of the 2020/21 Municipal Year. Meetings of the Children’s and Adult’s Care and Education Committee will resume.

Regulatory Committees including Development Control Committee, Neighbourhood Planning-Sub Committees and Licensing Sub-Committees will also continue to take place virtually.

Prior to the regulations coming into effect, decisions were taken under emergency powers.

See here for all decisions taken under special urgency powers and other officer decisions taken between March - May 2020.

You can view the individual reports for this meeting by selecting the headings from the numbered list of items at the bottom of this page. Alternatively you can view the entire agenda by selecting 'Agenda Reports Pack' below.

Watch Council meetings here

Contact: Samuel Nicholls tel 020 8547 5533  e-mail:  sam.nicholls@kingston.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

12.

Public Questions

A period of no more than 30 minutes for questions on issues unrelated to items on the agenda (please refer to the ‘More Meeting Information’ sheet).

Minutes:

There were no public questions.

13.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Councillors Kevin Davis, Jason Hughes and Munir Ravalia.

14.

Declarations of Interest

Members are invited to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests and any other non pecuniary interests (personal interests) relevant to items on this agenda.

 

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Simon Edwards declared a conflict of interest in relation to the Consultation item for Cumberland House as he sat on the Joint Venture Board for the Cambridge Road Estate. Therefore he did not participate in that item and relinquished his position as Chair to hand over to the Vice-Chair Councillor Lesley Heap to Chair for that item and the remainder of the meeting.

 

Members of this Committee who were also Members of the Development Control Committee, including Councillors Arora, Bailey and Heap declared that they would not be able to take part in the discussion of the item or make comments on the item but were able to ask factual questions.

 

Councillor Tim Cobbett declared a personal interest for himself and on behalf of Councillors Simon Edwards and Annette Wookey, in relation to the Community Grants item and specifically the application from the Cromwell Open Space Society, as they had attended some of their gardening days and events as Ward Councillors, but came to the Committee with an open mind.

 

Councillor Annette Wookey declared a personal interest in relation to the Community Grants item and specifically the application for Christians Against Poverty (CAP), as her sister was signatory for Christians Against Poverty (CAP), but came to the Committee with an open mind.

15.

Petitions

To receive petitions submitted by Councillors or members of the public who live, work or study in the Borough. The petition must contains at least 20 signatures*, and notice of the intention to submit the petition is given in writing to democratic.services@kingston.gov.uk by 10am on the last working day prior to the meeting.

 

*The Chair may waive the 20 signature threshold where the petition relates to a community or geographical area with a limited number of residents.

Minutes:

The Committee received notification of one petition. The Lead Petitioner, Ajay Luhka presented a petition, signed by 30 residents, which requested for the closure of the footpath on Ullswater Close as it is being used for criminal activity.

 

It was explained that the relevant officers would be notified of the petition and that the petition scheme process, outlined the Council’s constitution would be followed.

16.

Minutes

To confirm that the minutes of the meeting held on 15 September 2020 are a correct record.

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 15 September 2020 were approved as a correct record.

17.

Neighbourhood Managers Report

Minutes:

The Neighbourhood and Community Manager, Denise Parry gave an update on the Neighbourhood team. It was reported that the Neighbourhood Ranger team had been extremely busy over the last eight months and been at the centre of the Kingston Stronger Together Hub. They had been collecting and delivering Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and food donations from across London supporting out vulnerable residents with shopping and prescription deliveries and the delivery of well-being boxes.

 

Two of the team were also deployed at this time to support the bereavement services. Although PPE, shopping tasks and prescription duties have reduced they are still involved in supporting the work of the Kingston Stronger Together Hub. More recently the team had been supporting the Resilience Planning team with the opening and closing of the mobile testing unit at the Cattle Market and the PPE pop-up stall in Clarence Street. They had also been supporting the Kingston and Sutton Shared Environment Services with the NHS Covid QR code business engagement work. The team have returned to many of their business as usual tasks and have worked hard to catch up following the impact of the first wave on the service.

 

It was explained that incidence of graffiti and littering had increased   in the borough and the local rangers and had conducted over 40 fly-tip removals, 106 litter picks, 20 vegetation cut-backs, 149 graffiti removals, 78 hotspot inspections and 50 fly-poster removals.

 

18.

Community Grants pdf icon PDF 101 KB

To consider applications for Neighbourhood Community Grants (NCG).

Decision:

Resolved to award the following Maldens and Coombe Community Grants to-

 

·         Cromwell Residential and Open Space Society £3,000

·         Kingstonian Cricket Club £3,000

·         Milaap Multicultural Day Centre £3,000

·         Kingston Vineyard and Growbaby £1,644

·         Rotary Club of New Malden £3,000

·         Kingston Mencap £2,500

·         Momentum Children's Charity £1,080

·         Christians Against Poverty (CAP) £1700

Minutes:

The Committee considered eight applications for Neighbourhood Community Grants (NCG). Members noted that there were three different funding sources under the new Community Grants Programme available for Neighbourhood Committees and Ward Members to support and encourage local voluntary and community activity in their neighbourhoods.

 

Individual votes were taken for each application as follows:

 

Resolved to award the following Maldens and Coombe Community Grants to-

 

1.    Christians Against Poverty (CAP) for the sum of £1700

 

Voting:

 

For:                 Councillor(s) Roy Arora, Kim Bailey, Rowena Bass, Tim Cobbett, Mark Durrant, Simon Edwards (Chair), Ed Fram, Jaesung Ha, Nicola Sheppard, and Annette Wookey, (10);

 

Against:         Councillors Lesley Heap (Vice-Chair) and Ian George (2);

 

Abstention:    None (0).

 

2.    Cromwell Residential and Open Space Society for the sum of £3,000;

 

Voting: Unanimous

 

3.    Kingstonian Cricket Club for the sum of £3,000;

 

Voting: Unanimous

 

4.    Milaap Multicultural Day Centre for the sum of £3,000;

 

Voting: Unanimous

 

5.    Kingston Vineyard and Growbaby for the sum of £1,644;

 

Voting: Unanimous

 

6.    Rotary Club of New Malden for the sum of £3,000;

 

Voting: Unanimous

 

7.    Kingston Mencap for the sum of £2,500; and

 

Voting: Unanimous

 

8.    Momentum Children's Charity for the sum of £1,080

 

Voting: Unanimous

 

19.

Planning Consultation item: 20/02235/FUL - Garages 9-30 & Land To The Rear Of 1-44 Cumberland House, Kingston Hill, Kingston Upon Thames KT2 7LH pdf icon PDF 141 KB

This planning application has been brought to the Maldens and Coombe  Neighbourhood Committee for comment. The application for the above mentioned development will be determined at the Development Control Committee (if the Officer recommendation is for approval) in accordance with the Council’s Scheme of Delegation.

 

If you would like to ask a question at the committee meeting about a Consultation Item you must submit it to the Democratic Services Officer (Sam Nicholls 020 8547 5533, email: sam.nicholls@kingston.gov.uk) by no later than 10.00am the day before the meeting, (Wednesday 18 November, 2020) together with a contact number and email address. 

 

When doing so please indicate if you would like to ask the question in person in the virtual meeting. The first five people who want to ask their questions virtually will be able to do so. Depending on the number of questions received we will endeavour to read out in the meeting all other questions or a summary will be provided.

 

The rules on public participation at Committee meetings can be found in the Council’s Constitution on the Council’s website. For enquiries, please contact

Sam Nicholls, Email: sam.nicholls@kingston.gov.uk, 0208 547 5533.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a planning consultation item of application 20/02235/FUL at Garages 9-30 & Land To The Rear Of 1-44 Cumberland House, Kingston Hill, Kingston Upon Thames, KT2 7LH. It was noted that the planning application had been brought to the Maldens and Coombe

Neighbourhood Committee for comment. The application for the development would be determined at the Development Control Committee in accordance with the Council’s Scheme of Delegation.

 

The developer consultants team explained that the application was the erection of 9-storey building comprising 41 self-contained residential units (12 x one-bedroom, 15 x two-bedroom and 14 x three-bedroom) (following demolition of existing garage units to rear of 1-44 Cumberland House;) with associated car parking, refuse and cycle storage and landscaping improvements to existing communal amenity space serving Cumberland House for use of existing and proposed residents.

 

A number of members of the public addressed the Committee to raise their concerns including issues surrounding loss of car parking for existing residents, reduced play space, loss of habitats; and loss of outlook/visual intrusion to local residents.  By way of response it was explained that the consultation process was an in-depth process. It was clarified that a small area of the green space was to be removed but the wet area was to be utilised in the scheme that was not currently available which would be an enhancement for existing residents. A detailed ecology survey was taken on the site and no protected species were identified. In terms of parking it was explained that they had found the best compromise of the site in terms of parking spaces and tried to maximise spaces for the site.

 

Members raised a number of issues with the application including car parking and how a no car policy for tenants would be enforced.  By way of response it was explained that work would be done with households to ensure that in order to gain a tenancy with the Council it is explained what was expected of them. Furthermore the scheme incorporated extra cycle storage and there was encouragement to use public transport links which linked with the environmental agenda that was being promoted.

 

 

 

20.

Urgent items

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.