Councillors and committees

Agenda, decisions and minutes

New Regulations allow Committees to meet in virtual form online. Following Council approval on 19th May 2020 the Council’s five Strategic Committees responsible for major policy and service decisions will be temporarily streamlined into one Response and Recovery Committee. This will meet on a monthly basis and will be empowered to deal with all urgent business which would normally be considered by the other Strategic Committees, if it cannot wait until the resumption of normal conditions.

Regulatory Committees including Development Control Committee, Neighbourhood Planning-Sub Committees and Licensing Sub-Committees will continue to take place virtually. These will remain in place until at least 12th October when the Council will meet to decide whether circumstances allow for the resumption of normal business.

The Council is committed to maintaining full transparency in the decision making process during this period.

See here for all decisions taken under special urgency powers and other officer decisions during the COVID-19 emergency.

You can view the individual reports for this meeting by selecting the headings from the numbered list of items at the bottom of this page. Alternatively you can view the entire agenda by selecting 'Agenda Reports Pack' below.

Watch Council meetings here

Venue: Guildhall, Kingston upon Thames. View directions

Contact: Kevin Jones, Democratic Services Officer  Tel: 0208 547 6622/email  kevin.jones@kingston.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

10.

Public Questions

A period of up to 30 minutes for public questions on matters relevant to the Committee’s remit which are not related to items featuring on the agenda. Advance notice of questions is preferred but not essential.

Minutes:

The Committee dealt with questions and other matters raised by a resident. A summary of the questions and answers is attached as an Annex but does not form part of the Minutes of the meeting.

11.

Apologies for Absence and Attendance of Substitute Members

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Councillor Kevin Davis.

12.

Declarations of interest

Members are invited to declare any disclosable pecuniary interests and any other non-pecuniary interests (personal interests) relevant to items on this agenda.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

13.

Minutes

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 25 June 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 25 June 2019 be confirmed as a correct record.

14.

Recycling on the Go pdf icon PDF 84 KB

To receive an update report for information (as agreed at Committee in November 2018) in relation to the new arrangements for collection and processing of material collected by the street cleansing service to maximise recycling.

 

 

,

Minutes:

The Committee received a report that provided an update on the new arrangements for the collection and processing of material collected by the street cleansing service.

 

At its meeting in November 2018, the Committee had discussed the challenges of providing separate containers and collection services for recycling “on the go”.  As an alternative lower cost and interim solution, support had been given by the Committee to procure a new treatment contract for the extraction of recycling from litter bin waste.  Members had requested that the outcome of the procurement exercise be reported back to the Committee as an information item.

 

The report before the Committee informed members that, in June 2019, the London Borough of Sutton had awarded a contract, on behalf of the South London Waste Partnership (SLWP) for sorting waste from litter bins and fly-tips to SUEZ.  It was estimated that around 30% of material could be extracted for recycling.  All litter bin and fly-tipped waste would be delivered to this facility for treatment following a rescheduling of the street cleansing service vehicle routes.  This would initially enable the collection of recyclable waste from 1,100 flats above shops, which had not previously been possible.  The roll out of the new system was due to start in December 2019.

 

The report also informed members that there would be no additional cost for this change in arrangement and that costs were likely to reduce in comparison to the current arrangement (delivery of waste to the transfer station at Villiers Road and onward transport to the Energy Recovery Facility at Beddington Lane, Sutton).  It was confirmed that the new contract would be at a fixed rate per ton of collected waste.

 

Accordingly, it was RESOLVED to:

 

Note the outcome of the completed procurement to secure an alternative treatment route for material from litter bins and fly tips.

 

Voting: Unanimous

15.

Local Implementation Plan (LIP) 2020-21 pdf icon PDF 95 KB

To outline the proposed schemes to be considered for inclusion in the 2020/21 Local Implementation Plan (LIP) bid to Transport for London (TfL) in November 2019.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

RESOLVED that –

1.    the comments from the four Neighbourhood Committees, as set out in Annex 2 to the report, on the schemes and included in the submission  (Annex 1) are noted; and

2.    the proposed schemes as listed in the table in Annex 1 to the report are endorsed and included in the indicative submission to TfL in November 2019 for the 2020/21 LIP programme

 

Minutes:

The Committee received and considered a report that outlined proposed schemes to be included in the 2020/21 Local Improvement Plan (LIP) bid to Transport for London (TfL) in November 2019.

 

TfL provided funding to London Boroughs to support local transport improvements.  Earlier this year the Borough had submitted its Local Implementation Plan v3 (LIP3) which set out the framework for how the Borough intended to deliver schemes across the life of the latest Mayors Transport Strategy (MTS) to 2041.  LIP3 identified those schemes for 2020/21.

 

The report recognised that motor road traffic was the biggest single contributor to poor air quality in London.  The Borough was part of the pan-London anti-idling project funded by the Mayor of London through the Air Quality Fund and was already working to improve air quality through the Air Quality Action Plan and there were opportunities to go further by making it easier and more appealing for people to walk, cycle and use public transport. 

 

In June this year, the Council declared a climate emergency with the ambition of becoming carbon neutral by 2038 and a report on progress since this declaration would be brought to this Committee in November.  Although the causes of climate change go wider than vehicle emissions, doing more to encourage people to walk, cycle and use public transport is an important part of this work.

 

In addition, the Council would be holding its first ever Citizens Assembly in November and December focussing on how we can collectively improve air quality in the Borough.

 

The ‘Healthy Streets’ approach was now being used to ensure that schemes did not look at single transport modes but took a wider view of how streets functioned best for people.  The report highlighted that the traditional LIP delivery programme was for feasibility/consultation/design and delivery all to be compressed within a single year.  However, to match with the need to improve engagement, it was likely that the majority of schemes would, in future, be phased over two years.  As such, the annual capital programme would involve a combination of schemes being either developed or delivered, thus allowing sufficient time to more fully involve residents and other interested parties in scheme development to ensure that they reflected the views of the wider community and had its buy-in.

 

The report highlighted that the TfL funding formula was currently under review

 

The Council had been advised by TfL that the allocation in 2020/21 for Corridors, Neighbourhoods and Supporting Measures would be £1,209,600. The allocations for the Corridors, Neighbourhoods and Supporting Measures Programme was determined by TfL, and this was set using a pre-agreed formula.  A review of this formula was currently being undertaken and the report highlighted that this might lead to changes to the overall level of grant made available to Kingston in future years.  TfL had also confirmed that the borough’s allocation would include the £100,00 LTF allocation, received in previous years.  Previous funding reductions had been put in place for Principal Road Maintenance.  Between 2018/19 and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 15.

16.

Appointments to Internal Member Officer Working Groups pdf icon PDF 112 KB

To appoint Members to the Member Officer Working Groups relating to the remit of this Committee.

 

Decision:

RESOLVED that –

1.    The Members nominated by the Group Offices are appointed to Internal Working Groups for 2019/20 as set out in the report; and

2.    The current remit for each Working Group is confirmed or updated.

 

Minutes:

The Committee considered appointments to two working groups within the remit of this committee for the 2020/21 municipal year.  The groups were the Air Quality Working Group and the Go Cycle Working Group.  The appointments to the appointments to these Working Groups did not need to be strictly politically proportionate but broadly reflected the political balance of the Council.

 

Air Quality Working Group 2019/20

LD

Hilary Gander

LD

Olly Wehring

LD

Caroline Kerr

CON

David Cunningham

 

Remit: To feed into and develop the Council’s approach to improving Air Quality including check and challenge for the Air Quality Action Plan, and to advise on and submit reports the Environment and Sustainable Transport Committee for approval as required.

 

 

Go Cycle Working Group 2019/20

LD

Hilary Gander

LD

Katrina Lidbetter

LD

Sharon Young

LD

Sam Foulder-Hughes

CON

David Cunningham

 

Remit: To take forward aspects of the Go Cycle programme

 

 

RESOLVED that

 

1.                    Members nominated by the Group Offices are appointed to Internal Working Groups as set out in the report; and

 

2.                    the current remit for each Working Group is confirmed or updated.

 

Voting: Unanimous

 

17.

Urgent Items Authorised by the Chair

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972.

Minutes:

There was no urgent business authorised by the Chair.

18.

Exclusion of Press and Public

The following resolution is included as a standard item which will only be relevant if any exempt matter is to be considered at the meeting for which the Committee wish to resolve to exclude the press and public:

 

To exclude the public from the meeting under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 on the grounds that it is likely that exempt information, as defined in paragraph 3 of Part I of Schedule 12A to the Act, would be disclosed and the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.

 

In the event of exclusion being agreed, members of the public and press are to withdraw to the Reception on the ground floor of the Guildhall to await re-admission to the Chamber.