Councillors and committees
Browns Road Area
- Meeting of Surbiton Neighbourhood Committee, Tuesday 11 June 2019 7:30 pm (Item 7.)
- View the background to item 7.
1. the objections received in response to the publication of the TMO for the Browns Road area, & Alpha Road area and officer’s responses, as set out in paragraphs 9 and 11 are noted;
2. subject to legal advice, the objections received are set aside, and the implementation of the TMO for the introduction of a PPA which would operate Mon-Fri 11am -2pm in the Browns Road area including (Browns Road, Warwick Road, South Lane, Mayberry Place and King Charles Crescent, Alpha Road, Britannia Road and Middle Green Close) is approved and the objectors are informed of this decision.
The committee considered a report outlining the responses to a public consultation regarding the proposed implementation of a Traffic Management Order (TMO) in the Browns Road and Alpha Road areas which would introduce a Permit Parking Area (PPA). The roads concerned were Browns Road, Warwick Grove, South Place, Mayberry Place, King Charles Crescent, Alpha Road, Britannia Road and Middle Green Close. The Senior Professional Engineer for Surbiton and Kingston Neighbourhoods advised the committee that as they had already approved similar such schemes in other areas the committee should consider setting aside the objections to the TMO and implement the scheme.
The committee raised concerns regarding the impact on local business owners, the allocation of spaces to residents whose properties would be affected by the proposed Permit Parking Area (PPA), scheduled construction works nearby, the financial cost to residents, and the potential impact on blue badge holders. The Professional Engineer answered the concerns by explaining that local business owners should benefit from the scheme, that spaces were never allocated through PPAs, that it was imperative to begin works to avoid problems being caused for residents because of the scheduled construction works, and that blue badge holders would continue to be able to park anywhere within the PPA without a permit.
Mr Oliver Gill, a resident of Richmond Grove who had submitted an objection, questioned the legality and process of the consultation and explained that he was opposed to the principle of parking outside his own home. Mr Gill also raised concerns regarding a page of the consultation document having been absent from the online version.
The officer responded that although there had been a problem with a missing page of the consultation document, this was quickly rectified and was a case of human error. He added that all statutory requirements regarding publication of the consultation had been fulfilled and so the consultation was, therefore, conducted legally.
Councillor Foulder-Hughes, Chair, indicated that he wished to amend the motion to include a provision for confirmatory legal advice to address these concerns. This was seconded by Councillor Mark Beynon and the committee agreed.
With the permission of the Chair, further resident concerns were raised included the problems of parking in Middle Green Close, although it was admitted that this would not be resolvable through this PPA alone as a number of the parking bays belong to housing.
Following further discussion the Professional Engineer advised that there would be a review of the scheme after one year to see whether it meets the expectations.
1. the objections received in response to the publication of the TMO for the Browns Road area, & Alpha Road area and officer’s responses, as set out in paragraphs 9 and 11 are noted; and
2. subject to legal advice, the objections received are set aside, and the TMO for the introduction of a PPA which would operate Mon-Fri 11am-2pm in the Browns Road area including (Browns Road, Warwick Road, South Place, Mayberry Place and King Charles Crescent, Alpha Road, Britannia Road and Middle Green Close) is implemented and the objectors are informed of this decision.
Voting - unanimously in favour.
- Browns Road Area - Parking Proposals, item 7. PDF 104 KB
- Annex 1 Browns Road Area - PPA, item 7. PDF 1 MB