(Formerly known as the Development Control Committee)
Responsible for the following functions:
The Committee has concurrent reserve powers with Neighbourhood Committees to enable it to deal with any planning matter that an individual Neighbourhood was unable to deal with for whatever reason (e.g. where a substantial number of Neighbourhood Councillors have a prejudicial interest in a matter).
1. To exercise the functions, powers and duties of the Council in relation to Development Management and other related planning matters.
2. Consultation shall take place with the relevant Neighbourhood Committee prior to the exercise of these powers in those circumstances where the Assistant Director Strategic Planning and Infrastructure, in consultation with the Chair of Planning Committee and the Chair of the relevant Neighbourhood Committee, considers it appropriate to do so.
3. The Assistant Director Strategic Planning and Infrastructure may bring presentations of developments, that are intended to be submitted as Applications for Planning Permission but are in the pre-application stage or such applications that are in the pre-determination stage, to the Committee.
4. Recommendations to approve Applications for Planning Permission where one of the following circumstances apply (Consultation shall take place with the Chair of the Planning Committee prior to issuing a refusal of an application for a Major Development):
a. Major Developments (as defined in the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order), other than applications under section 73 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 for the variation of conditions on an existing planning permission where the substance of the changes are such that they would otherwise be dealt with under delegated powers;
b. The decision would not accord with the provisions of the Development Plan and, in the opinion of the Assistant Director Strategic Planning and Infrastructure, constitutes a Departure;
c. The Council is the applicant and either:
· it is for the development of land in its ownership that the Council intends to grant to a third party any form of right or interest over that land; or
· in any other case where there is a single Objection (as defined in the responsibility for Functions for Neighbourhood Committees), or the proposal does not comply with the Development Plan; or
· In any other case, there is a Call-In Request (as defined in the responsibility for Functions for Neighbourhood Committees) and the Chair, in consultation with the Assistant Director Strategic Planning and Infrastructure, considers it appropriate for Committee consideration.
d. The applicant has indicated on the 1APP Application Form that they are:
· an elected member;
· a senior Officer of the Council (Service Head and above);
· a Political Group Officer;
· an officer of the Local Planning Authority (see definition below); or
· closely related to any of the above; and
· an Objection (as defined in the responsibility for Functions for Neighbourhood Committees) has been received;
· the proposal does not fully comply with planning policy; or
· There has been a Call-In Request (as defined in the responsibility for Functions for Neighbourhood Committees).
· The term “Officer of the Local Planning Authority” means an officer within the Council who, in the opinion of the Assistant Director Strategic Planning and Infrastructure, is closely involved in the day-to-day work of the Council’s planning function.
5. Any planning matter which the Assistant Director Strategic Planning and Infrastructure wishes to refer to the Committee.
6. The Committee may also consider and respond to consultations from external bodies, or the Strategic Committees, where the Chair, in consultation with the Assistant Director Strategic Planning and Infrastructure, considers it appropriate to do so.
7. The control of high hedges under Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003.
8. To receive performance monitoring information on matters within the remit of the Committee.
Support officer: Samuel Nicholls 020 8547 5533. e-mail: email@example.com